This job requires
Salary £25,500 Per Annum
Location Chelmsford, Essex
Recruitment Agency SaferPlaces
Main Purpose: To provide a high-quality frontline service to victims of domestic abuse, delivering a service to those at highest risk. To work within a multi-agency framework consisting of the MARAC and local partnership responses to domestic abuse.
1. To maintain and demonstrate a commitment to the Organisation’s vision and values and strategic aims and objectives.
2. To maintain high standards of professionalism and keep abreast of current legislation, standards, best practice and maintain a focus of continuous improvement.
3. To maintain knowledge of the Organisation’s operating environment.
– Identify and assess the risks and needs of domestic abuse victims using an evidence-based risk identification checklist.
– Focus on and prioritise high risk cases and provide a pro-active, short to medium term crisis intervention service through individual safety planning and personal support.
– Work with high risk victims of domestic abuse to help them access services to keep them and their children safe.
– Advocate for high risk victims with agencies who can help to address the domestic abuse by: I. Understanding the role of all relevant statutory and non-statutory services available to domestic abuse victims and how your role fits into them. II. Providing advocacy, emotional and practical support and information to victims including in relation to legal options, housing, health and finance. III. Working directly with all key agency partners to address the safety of high risk victims and ensuring that their safety plans are coordinated particularly through the MARAC.
– Manage a case load ensuring each client receives the appropriate service individual to their needs.
– Support the empowerment of the client and assist them in recognising the features and dynamics of domestic abuse present in their situation, and help them regain control of their lives.
– Understand multi-agency partnership structures and work within a multi-agency setting which will include participation at the MARAC. You will contribute interventions and help design a plan to protect victims and any children, while maintaining an independent role on behalf of your client, keeping their safety as central to any response.
– In accordance with Safer Places’ case management policy: Be proactive with your line manager in carrying out periodic case reviews based on a review of risk and abuse which:
I. Feeds back into action planning to further progress, signpost or close cases and;
II. Provides feedback to your clients/agencies.
– Help maintain accurate and confidential case management records and databases and contribute to monitoring information for the service.
– Comply with data protection legislation, confidentiality and information sharing policy and procedures and all legislation connected to your work.
– Support colleagues and partner agencies, through awareness raising and institutional advocacy, in order to provide the best possible service for victims of domestic abuse. May wish to define training events/roles.
– Respect and value the diversity of the community in which the services works in, and recognise the needs and concerns of a diverse range of survivors ensuring the service is accessible to all.
– Remain up-to-date and compliant with all organisational procedures policies and professional codes of conduct and uphold standards of best practice.
1. The role holder will be expected to perform any other duties that may reasonably be asked of them.
EXPERIENCE You are required to have experience of:
– Experience of working directly with victims of domestic violence
– Working directly with vulnerable people.
– Managing a caseload.
– Working within a multi-agency and legislative framework.
– Experience of working with people with mental health issues
– Experience of working with people with substance misuse problems
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
You are required to:
– Have a good understanding of domestic abuse including the impact of domestic abuse on victims and their children.
– Have theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge of civil and criminal justice remedies for victims of domestic abuse and their children.
– Understand child protection issues, and the legal responsibilities surrounding these issues.
– Understand the principles of risk assessment, safety planning and risk management for victims of domestic abuse and their children.
– Understand the remits and resources of relevant statutory bodies and voluntary agencies.
– Understand and be committed to equal opportunities and diversity issues in policy and practice.
– Have a good working knowledge of the local area.
– An understanding of the role of statutory agencies in respect of dealing with domestic abuse and supporting the victim
– Report writing
QUALIFICATIONS You are required to:
– Have computer literacy skills and have experience of working with databases.
– Hold a CAADA IDVA training certificate, or a relevant degree, or demonstrable equivalent experience, or a vocational qualification, or be willing to undertake relevant study.
– Have excellent communication, negotiation and advisory skills, both written and verbal when interacting with a range of agencies and individuals.
– Have strong crisis management skills and the ability to deal with stressful and difficult situations.
You will be required to:
– Be compassionate and empathetic with your client’s situation.
– Show initiative and be proactive when managing you caseload and interacting with your clients and agencies you’re working with.
– Act with integrity and respect when working with all clients, agencies and
– Be optimistic about the possibility of personal growth and change
– Work flexibly as part of a team.
– Motivate individuals and agencies to move through courses of action and
decision making processes.
– Demonstrate commitment to the organisation’s aims and objectives.
– Be able to motivate others and provide leadership within the service particularly in crisis situations.
– Be able to perform under pressure
– Be a strong negotiator and influencer
– Subject to Enhanced DBS Check
– Ability to work outside the normal office hours to cover on call on a rota basis.
– Car driver